WHAT IS MIXED MARTIAL ARTS (MMA)?
Mixed martial arts (MMA), is a full contact combat sport that allows the use of both striking and grappling techniques, both standing and on the ground, from a variety of other combat sports. The roots of modern mixed martial arts can be traced back to the ancient Olympics where one of the earliest documented systems of codified full range unarmed combat was in the sport of pankration. dubious – discuss] Various mixed style contests took place throughout Europe, Japan and the Pacific Rim during the early 1900s. The combat sport of vale tudo that had developed in Brazil from the 1920s was brought to the United States by the Gracie family in 1993 with the founding of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) (Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts)
MMA AT RMNU SOUTH TAMPA
At RMNU South Tampa we offer Mixed Martial Arts private lessons from a Professional Mixed Martial Artist, Lane Andrews!!! Lane competed in MMA from 1997 – 2000 with a record of 12-4-1. He fought in UFC rival organizations such as the International Vale Tudo Challenge in Brazil and Pancrase in Japan. We encourage a relax and friendly training environment and will design YOUR curriculum around YOU! There are no EGOs at RMNU South Tampa!!!
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER TAKING PRIVATE LESSONS?
- Anyone who wants to increase their MMA skills in the most efficient manner.
- Anyone who is unsure about joining an MMA class because of anxiety, fear of getting hurt, etc. For example, we have surgeons who take private classes due to fear of hurting their hands.
- Anyone with a busy schedule that needs special accommodations to train. Many business owners, executives, and stay at home parents fall into this category.
BENEFITS OF MMA
- Weight Loss
- Functional Strength
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Warm up – 5 minutes
- 30 minutes of skill development
- Take Downs
- 20 minutes of functional strength & conditioning training
- 30 seconds of exercise with 5 seconds to change stations
- Stations consist of the following:
- MMA skills training
- Striking the heavy bag/mitts
- Using the grappling dummy
- Functional Strength Exercises
- Push ups/Pull ups
- Squats/Jump Squats
- Other exercises designed to work all muscle groups, improve functional strength, and burn calories
- Core Exercises – 5 minutes
- Stretching/Cool Down – 5 minutes